We used various conversion processes in tandem to provide the most efficient way for extracting and converting the Flash assets.
Background and Business Need
Considering the technological requirements of our client, we faced four major challenges.
- Some source FLA files from the legacy content were missing
- All the content from the Flash files was embedded within the files, while there were no storyboards supporting the legacy flash content
- To add to the task, all the media files, including images and audio, were a part of Flash source FLA and would have to be extracted
- We needed to have a strategy in place to help our client make course updates in the future
To meet our client’s requirements and overcome the challenges, we first analyzed all the Flash assets and segregated them into three categories: animations (self-running, interactive), interactivities (text-based, image-based, etc.), and assessments. Based on the types of flash assets identified, we applied various extraction and conversion solutions, which included the following:
We then compressed all media files using various compression techniques and third-party software to avoid any unnecessary network round trips. Our team at KnowledgeWorks Global Learning also developed a JSON-based data model using our client’s existing content. We integrated this data model with a layout that allowed us to re-design the course layouts to ensure they meet the responsive design guidelines.
To facilitate easy updates to these courses in the future, we built a web-based authoring tool, which could import legacy XML files and output on the new JSON-based data model. The web-based tool also included basic WYSIWYG features to help authors make updates to the existing course content and re-publish them. Further, the new JSON-based data model worked along with KnowledgeWorks Global Learning’s custom JS framework for generating an output of HTML5 courses.
We minified all the courses with automated packaging using GULP for performance optimization. We also conducted quality tests that included unit testing, design tests, and device compatibility testing.
We delivered an optimal solution to our client enabling them to relaunch their training courses in modern engaging designs. The newly added mobile-compatibility of our client’s learning content helped them increase their user base by a resounding 60% therefore increasing their ROI by 55%.